From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] After KDE5 install massive depclean list
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:25:42
1 On 15/02/2017 15:14, Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > Having finally got a stable KDE5 system I did an emerge depclean and got
3 > 288 candidates! I am not sure which packages I need to keep and which
4 > can go. I assume any package like kde-apps/kxxx-4.14* can go unless you
5 > actually want it, but I am unclear about packages like
6 > kde-apps/plasma-apps-15.12.3 which are slotted as 4 but have upgrades to
7 > 16.08.3. Do I still need these?
8
9 For the most part, no.
10
11 Almost every kde4 package (libs, apps, plugins, and more) got updated
12 for KDE% and many were pkgmv'ed around to new categories. So 288 sounds
13 like the right ballpark from memory.
14
15 I found that the kde ebuild maintainers did a really good job with this,
16 and virtually every upgrade went smooth for me. The KDE4 apps I still
17 have (amarok, k3b, etc) have their DEPENDs correct so depclean tends to
18 be correct as is, including the plasma SLOTs.
19
20 If your world file is in good condition I recommend you let portage
21 clean what it wants to. In the unlikely evnt the devs missed something,
22 you can always emerge a missing package or two back.
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com