From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control ttyS0 respawning speed?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:44:26
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have set-up serial console on my server in /etc/inittab:
4 >
5 > s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyS0 vt100
6 >
7 > It mostly works, with one exception: right after boot-up
8 > I get this message:
9 >
10 > INIT: ID "s0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
11 >
12 > Of course, I can see this only on attached monitor, because
13 > ttyS0 is dead. After those 5min ttyS0 is again up/running
14 > and I can finally log in. I tried lowering port speed
15 > down to 9600, but it does not make any difference...
16 >
17 > How can I control that respawn speed, or prohibit this
18 > behavior (disabling ttyS0 for 5min)? I do not like waiting
19 > 5min to log in, after I restarted server...
20 >
21 > Jarry
22 >
23 Don't know the answer to yr question. But I'm also not sure if you're
24 asking the right question.
25 When I last saw "respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes", it was
26 actually an issue with the spawned process not being able to start. I'm
27 therefore suggesting you'd want to consider checking why agetty cannot
28 run, rather than working around init's behavior.
29 Amit