From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] traceroute not working
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:19:07
1 On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Weird, I don't use it much, but needed to run a traceroute today, and it is
5 > failing with:
6 >
7 > # traceroute 192.168.1.4
8 > traceroute to 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
9 > send: Operation not permitted
10 >
11 > I know the problem is in my firewall, because when I stop it, traceroutes
12 > work as expected.
13 >
14 > I have allowed all ICMP in my firewall:
15 >
16 > Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
17 > target prot opt source destination
18 > <snip>
19 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
20 > <snip>
21 >
22 > Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
23 > target prot opt source destination
24 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
25 >
26 > Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
27 > target prot opt source destination
28 > <snip>
29 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
30 >
31 > Any ideas what I'm missing?
32 >
33 > I can send all of my firewall rules privately if someone thinks I may have
34 > something that is dropping these packets before my ALLOW rule kicks in, but
35 > I'm fairly sure I have them right...
36 >
37 > Thanks
40 Unix traceroute normally operates by sending UDP packets to
41 high-numbered ports with successively larger TTL values. You'll need
42 to make sure you are allowing outbound UDP traffic as well.