From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:30:14
1 (I've tried correcting indent markers in quoted bits but I've probably got
2 some of them wrong.)
3
4 On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 19:54:57 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > On December 27, 2016 5:39:09 PM GMT+01:00, Peter Humphrey
6
7 --->8
8
9 > > >You see how spaced out the folder list is? There's no setting for that
10 > >in KMail as far as I can see. The Qt Configuration tool has an Interface
11 > >tab. Under Global Strut you can set minimum width and height. The default
12 > >is zero, giving Qt free rein to do what it likes, but I could set those
13 > >to 1 and kmail:4 would tuck all those folder entries up so that they
14 > >fitted without scrolling. It has no effect on kmail:5 though.
15 >
16 > Is the qt config for qt4 or qt5?
17
18 It's version 4.8.7, so maybe it's for qt:4, which would explain its not
19 affecting kmail:5 :)
20
21 > You might need to find the settings/tool to apply to qt5. Kmail:4 is qt4
22 > based. (I never played with that tool, which package is it? And which
23 > command do I run?)
24
25 It's in the KDE system applications menu.
26
27 --->8
28
29 [OT]
30 > Speaking of English. I always wonder which would be a better match for
31 > someone who uses English mostly to deal with international friends and
32 > computers. I am Dutch myself, which means it's officially a second
33 > language for me. (Always wondered about that, as I speak several
34 > languages and fluency is simply a matter of which I speak regularly). I
35 > usually throw a dice to decide between US and UK whenever I get asked.
36
37 (Do you mean regularly, or frequently? :P )
38 Personally, I'd be deeply embarrassed if anyone thought I might be American.
39 I have even been known to rebuke youngsters (gently) for saying "you're
40 welcome" as being an Americanism.
41
42 On the other hand, while I was working in Minneapolis 25 years ago, some
43 people though I was Australian! Not sure which is worse...
44 [/OT]
45
46 > > >Nothing to do with KMail, but the display of gkrellm has changed
47 > > >dramatically. I use its Invisible theme, which hasn't actually been
48 > > >invisible since the switch from KDE-3 to 4, but it had a plain,
49 > > >unobtrusive grey scheme and showed what I wanted to see, clearly and
50 > > >with no drama.
51
52 Looks like a bug report is needed against gkrellm.
53
54 -->8
55
56 > >I've found a lot more KDE-5 meta-packages and installed those, but they
57 > >haven't helped with this.
58 >
59 > What about plasma-meta?
60 > I think that pulls in the whole shebang?
61
62 I thought so too, but it doesn't. It seems to pull in just the bits you need
63 to run a plasma desktop; applications are another matter.
64
65 -->8
66
67 > Again, could be related to killing akonadi while indexing.
68 > Or corruption in the database caused by the segfaults.
69 > You could try:
70 > # akonadictl fsck
71
72 Good idea. I will if this new incarnation starts acting up again.
73
74 > I usually restart akonadi first to ensure I can follow the messages in a
75 > konsole:
76 > in konsole 1:
77 > # akonadictl stop
78 > # akonadictl status (repeat this till it says stopped)
79 > # akonadictl start
80 >
81 > > in konsole 2:
82 > # akonadictl fsck
83 >
84 > Then monitor in konsole 1 to see what it does. It actually reports on it's
85 > fsck status there with what it finds and fixes.
86
87 Yes, I've operated that way a few times, but just using the one Konsole.
88
89 > Personally, I think akonadi is a nice idea for when people store all their
90 > email locally. As I use IMAP to store my email, it does a lot of
91 > duplicate efforts. But with that, I have luckily been spared from the
92 > duplicate email or dissapearing email issues others have encountered.
93
94 My ISP doesn't offer IMAP so I have to use POP. It suits me anyway, having
95 all my e-mails under my own control.
96
97 > >> >I dare say version 16.12.0 of KMail-2 will make a decent platform
98 > >> >for development, now that it's finally here, but a very great deal of
99 > >> >work lies ahead. I can see that I'll be doing my fair share of
100 > >> >shouting too, at it and at the devs.
101 > >>
102 > >> I'll try to get my desktop converted this week. And will join in the
103 > >> bugreporting party.
104 > >
105 > >It would be good to have someone to compare notes with.
106 > >
107 > >--->8
108 >
109 > Give me some time to do the installation. Will need to first kill kde4
110 > parts on the desktop before doing the upgrade. I run mostly stable. Will
111 > see how that goes.
112
113 OK. In my case I must have had some stray USE flags in the kde:4 system
114 which were impossible to sort out with kde:5. I ended up ditching the whole
115 lot and installing a new system, setting make.profile to plasma right at the
116 outset and only setting USE flags that portage demanded. Took a while.
117
118 > >> >I think I'll have to go down the pub to drown my sorrows.
119 > >>
120 > >> Just don't climb behind the wheel of a car afterwards....
121 > >
122 > >No, it's just a wee stroll. Takes longer to get my shoes on. :-)
123 >
124 > Slippers and warm socks not an option? Saves a lot of time, I would think.
125 > And the alcohol will make you feel warm enough, including your toes....
126
127 I'm not going walking round the village in my slippers, thanks all the same.
128 We might have a maritime climate here, but even so...
131 Regards,
132 Peter