From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Gnome / problem registering the panel with bonobo-activation-server / error code 3
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:16:54
1 I've still got no gnome working and no idea how to fix this.
2
3 I joined the gnome list, but it's useless. I've posted several times, and nothing gets through to it! I use DynDNS so it should work
4 fine. The Exim list (which blocks too) works. In any event, it's so low volume (shocking considering how "huge" gnome is), I wonder
5 if there is more than a handful of people on it to begin with. But I digress...
6
7 This weekend, I did an "emerge -au world" and after two days, and like 160 packages, and all the 'etc-update' and stuff, still no
8 gnome love.
9
10 rev-dep rebuild. Not even a some lube.
11
12 Then I did an "emerge -aDu gnome" and it compiled like 59 more packages. Guess what...
13 Yep. Gnome still hates me and is putting it right in my pooper. Dry.
14
15 So now I'm out of ideas.
16 Is there a 'debug' mode or something I can see what or why whatever is crashing?
17 How can I be the *only* one having this issue?!
18
19 > -----Original Message-----
20 > From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:daevid@××××××.com]
21 > Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:32 PM
22 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
23 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Gnome / problem registering the panel
24 > with bonobo-activation-server / error code 3
25 >
26 > Okay. My gnome is broken and has been for some time and I
27 > can't seem to fix
28 > it or find any solutions on the web. I was hoping eventually
29 > some emerge would fix it magically for me.
30 >
31 > When I start it (even as root), it gets to the third icon
32 > (like a desktop looking one),
33 > then gives me some "Nautilus can't be used now, due to an
34 > unexpected error" while attempting to register the file
35 > manager view server.
36 > There is also another error window that says something about "problem
37 > registering the panel with bonobo-activation-server" and
38 > "error code is 3".
39 > Then I click "ok" and it exits. Leaving me with an empty itty-bitty
40 > checker-board like pattern screen and a mouse pointer. I have to hit
41 > CTRL+ALT+BKSP to get out of it.
42 >
43 > I've tried to re-emerge
44 >
45 > gnome-base/libbonobo 2.16.0
46 > gnome-base/libbonoboui 2.16.0
47 > gnome-base/orbit 2.14.2
48 > gnome-base/nautilus 2.16.3
49 >
50 > And nothing is fixing it.
51 >
52 > I've also done a rev-dep-rebuild to no avail.
53 >
54 > Ideas?
55 >
56 > --