From: David Blamire-Brown <david@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:29:05
1 On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:00:06 +0000 (WET)
2 Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
3
4 > I'm about to dump Firefox, because I can't google in English. The thing
5
6 > So, the point is: what browser now? Firefox is the one more often
7 > mentioned in this list. How about Konqueror or Opera? The latter is
8 > hardly ever mentioned. Is there some special reason for this? For
9 > example, is it activelly maintained? Is it missing some particular
10 > feature? It looks nice enough, but is there some catch?
11
12 Another vote for Opera here. I'm running 9.02 at home.
13 A few observations from my set-up, although they could be as much to do
14 me having not got something else in my configuration right ...
15
16 1) This version of Opera really seems to struggle with "heavy" pages.
17 The whole app slows down, no response to clicks etc, until the page has
18 fully rendered. Example of affected page:
19 http://funds.ft.com/funds/searchFund.do?symb=AQSTG&type=F1
20
21 2) Opera infrequently causes my system to hang completely. I can't ctrl
22 +alt+F1 to a terminal screen, I can ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X, I
23 can't do anything. It's a hard reboot of the box. Admittedly I'm
24 slightly impatient, but I give it 10 secs before hitting reset,
25 sometimes longer. I can't categorically state that it's Opera, but I've
26 a very strong suspicion. Especially given that I basically use an
27 xterm, sylpheed and opera 95% of the time.
28
29 3) Javascript seems fairly broken in Opera - but that could be my fault
30 for not setting something up properly.
31
32 4) Some pages just don't render properly in Opera and I have occasion
33 to fall back to firefox. As another poster said, it's often badly
34 designed banking sites.
35
36 5) Overall though, IMO Opera is a nicer browser to use than firefox.
37 Tabbed browsing is implemented in a more effective fashion. Keyboard
38 shortcuts are lovely, eg F2 to bring a dialog for typing a URL, which
39 can be configured to fire up a new tab is very nice. Shift+F2 allows
40 you to have a one key shortcut for favourite bookmarks (again firing
41 up a new tab). Sidebar is far more effective in Opera. Obviously
42 personal preference, but I much prefer it.
43
44 Regards,
45 David
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list