From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unkillable processes
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:24:41
1 On 11/28/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > kill -15 PID
3 > kill -9 PID
4 > killall -9 process_name
5 >
6 > but none worked. To make forward progress I just rebooted.
7 >
8 > Is there some other way I could have tried killing this process?
9
10 Nope. Usually this means something went terribly wrong in hardware.
11 Pullling a hard drive out of the system while it is running is an easy
12 way to duplicate this problem, as it will cause the kernel to enter an
13 interminable reset loop to try and recover. Problems with network
14 filesystems could also cause something similar.
15
16 You should check dmesg output to see if the kernel is complaining
17 about something.
18
19 -Richard
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list