From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] utempter vs libutempter
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:18:37
1 At Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:46:48 +0930 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday, 3 June 2006 23:24, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> So this utmpter/libutmpter appears to be a special case where the
5 >> normal
6 >>
7 >> unmerge A
8 >> merge B
9 >> merge A
10 >>
11 >> is wrong.
12 >>
13 >> thanks again,
14 >> allan
15 >
16 > I don't believe the procedure you mentioned has ever been normal. If packages
17 > block it usually indicates that a package is being replaced by another. An
18 > example is how shadow recently replaced pam-login.
19
20 "Normal" was a poor word choice. It is sometimes done. For example
21 when I googled "packages which cannot be installed" on the first page
22 I found
23
24 GENTOO Tips
25 When updating your system, the following error may occur: "Error: The
26 above package list contains packages which cannot be installed on the
27 same system." ... ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~stanovic/gentoo.html - 3k - Cached
28 - Similar pages
29
30 Following the link gave
31
32 When updating your system, the following error may occur: "Error: The
33 above package list contains packages which cannot be installed on the
34 same system."
35
36 * In order to overcome this error, it is probably best to first
37 run emerge with the --ask argument. This will give you the
38 package that wishes to be installed and the package that is
39 blocking it. First unmerge the blocking package, then emerge the
40 package that wished to be installed. Finally emerge the package
41 that you initially unmerged.
42
43 I would think that the idea is that merging B (which is new or
44 updated) changed the system so that A can now be remerged. For
45 example perhaps the updated B has changed DEPEND and/or PROVIDE.
46
47 allan
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list