From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] normal user do not have access to usb, and many other things
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:49:29
1 On 9 March 2010 12:31, Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> When you login to xorg using a root account some configuration files
5 >> become owned by root.  A normal user can no longer access them.  Most
6 >> desktops should be clever enough to allow users to create their own
7 >> configuration files in their home directory - but I am not sure how
8 >> you have yours set up.
11 > if kde created configuration file when i log in as root, it should
12 > only create the configuration files for my root, and should not affect
13 > other users.
14
15 Yes, that's how it *should* work, but it evidently isn't. Maybe
16 someone else more experienced in KDE can explain what happened and why
17 the particular functions are now not available to plain users, or if
18 you have another machine which has been running properly you could
19 compare and contrast access rights between the two systems.
20
21 Meanwhile, just as a test, you may want to logout of X, move the
22 /root/.kde4 folder and /home/<user>/.kde4 somewhere else, then restart
23 X as a plain user and see if these functions are working properly now.
24 If not then I suspect the problem is not with these user specific
25 configuration files but with the system KDE or X files.
26
27 HTH.
28 --
29 Regards,