From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of all kde components
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:21:54
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:38, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On Dienstag 18 November 2008, Sebastian Günther wrote:
4 >> * Dirk Heinrichs (dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com) [18.11.08 07:53]:
5 >> > Am Dienstag 18 November 2008 07:14:02 schrieb ext Harry Putnam:
6 >> > > I've decided to stop using KDE after yrs of use... given that gentoo
7 >> > > compiles everything from scratch, its just getting to much time lost
8 >> > > jacking around with kde during upgrades.
9 >> >
10 >> > Hmm, you already complained about installation (or compile) time in the
11 >> > cfg- update thread. Why did you choose Gentoo, if you don't like
12 >> > compiling stuff?
13 >>
14 >> Because it is about choice, and if you choose, not to use KDE, then you
15 >> can do it.
16 >>
17 >> You can even choose not to use qt, and leave a whole bunch of bloated
18 >> libs out.
19 >>
20 >> > BTW: I run KDE updates in the night.
21 >>
22 >> Well, I never compile KDE. One big monster like Gnome is enough...
23 >>
24 >> > Bye...
25 >> >
26 >> > Dirk
27 >>
28 >> SEB@STI@N
29 >
30 > so you decided to install the even bigger, more bloated monster?
31 > smart choice!
32 >
33 > But why attacking Dirk for his valid question? The OP has complained in two
34 > threads about compiling. If you don't like compiling, gentoo is not for you.
37 It doesn't seem like a complain, if you read it like you would really answer it.
38
39 It wast just a comment to justify the question. I don't see a reason
40 to question his comment. Gentoo is about choice (not just compiling),
41 and this thread is about Getting rid of all KDE components. Someone
42 goes off-topic and all of a sudden the OP feels attacked (I would feel
43 the same). If you're not going to answer the question, don't send it
44 to the list.
45
46 I have removed KDE long time ago, and right now I have most of it back
47 so I can use one or two programs (I just love K3B, never used KDE as a
48 WM, but K3B kicks ass, and Gentoo, as I said, is about choice). It
49 seems to me that if you remove all kde basic components, all
50 dependencies (its the case of your arts list) would be target for
51 removal by emerge --depclean... Run revdep-rebuild and maybe check the
52 -e option of emerge to get rid of whatever is left (or wants to come
53 back).
56 Daniel da Veiga