From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startup script use the wrong find command
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:45:03
1 On Friday 04 December 2009 17:25:21 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Xi Shen writes:
3 > > when i boot my system, at the step "Wiping /tmp", it pops up an error
4 > > message saying that the find command do not support the '-uid' option.
5 > > in the error message, i also see the busybox mark. it looks like it
6 > > used the wrong find command.
7 >
8 > Did you emerge busybox with the make-symlinks USE flag? When your original
9 > find is replaced by a link to busybox.
10
11 That's unlikely. His box will likely not boot if he did that. If it does boot
12 it certainly will not emerge anything. Portage relies on features that are
13 present in GNU utilities and are not there in busybox
14
15 > Don't know what to do exactly, most probably many other commands will also
16 > not work as expected, I guess you need to re-emerge all stuff that
17 > provides them, like findutils. There was a thread recently, look for "/bin
18 > contains busybox executables after installing busybox-1.13.2" by Amit Dor-
19 > Shifer on 2009-11-25.
20
21 He likely installed busybox into the initramfs instead of GNU utilities.
22
23 initramfs on gentoo is not a technique I recommend. It is designed for a
24 general use-case not present in Gentoo[1], and a very few specific cases where
25 an initramfs-less setup cannot work[2[
26
27 [1] Binary distros cannot know upfront what the end-user has hardware-wise, so
28 cannot build drivers for everything imaginable into the kernel. An initramfs
29 is an elegant solution, but one which is overkill for Gentoo (the initial
30 statement is usually false)
31
32 [2] Some specific boot scenarios require an initramfs even on Gentoo - booting
33 off raided volumes where drivers are needed at boot time, encrypted / volumes,
34 / on an LVM volume and a few others
35
36 In almost all other cases it is simpler and easier to dispense with the
37 initramfs and build two drivers into the kernel. After all, the user in all
38 probability knows exactly what hardware they have
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com