From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:04:13
1 On Thursday 30 Jan 2014 15:25:47 James wrote:
2
3 > Nividia is a *VENDOR* that chooses not to provide information so
4 > drivers can be properly maintained, historically. ATI (AMD now) is a vendor
5 > who provides information so drivers can be maintained, even optimized, into
6 > perpetuity.
7 >
8 > Maybe you chose unwisely?............(get ATI next time) unless
9 > you have a valid reason for choosing a "prick" as your vendor?
10
11 I've used nVidia cards for many years. When I bought my first one (maybe 20
12 years ago) ATI support in Linux was woeful, and the doggerel had it that the
13 hardware was less competent too, so I chose nVidia.
14
15 Since then I've seen more cries for help on this list from ATI owners than
16 nVidia, so it's not clear to me which is the better choice these days. Since I
17 don't do bigotry my choice is on technical grounds, and I don't need hardware
18 3D acceleration. So the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned.
19
20 Well, maybe CUDA might ramp up my contribution rate to BOINC projects a bit.
21 Again, no obvious winner.
24 Regards
25 Peter