From: Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Report: Experience with f2fs
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:54:33
1 I would always recommend a secure erase of an SSD - if you want a "fresh
2 start". That will mark all the NAND cells as clear of data. That will
3 benefit the longevity of your device / wear levelling.
4
5 I've been messing about with native exfat over the past few months. I found
6 this to be a pretty decent shared partition file system - for use with MS
7 Windows. The read performance will saturate a 3Gbit SATA link - but write
8 performance is only in the order of 100Mbytes/second.
9
10 Personally having been burned by btrfs I would not try one of these
11 "experimental" file systems again... That was the same sort of pattern as
12 your experience. I carefully followed the Arch Wiki (large partition size -
13 due to COW issues, etc.) - was using it on my home brew NAS running
14 OpenSUSE as root /. One day it just "blew up" and was really screwed for
15 recovery (I did manage to get the few small bits of data I needed with some
16 Googling) - as none of the btrfs tools for this actually work! Back to ext4
17 for root / - now running Arch on that box... Ironically the native ZFS port
18 has always been stable on that box (with a very large storage array)!
19
20 Just my $0.02!!
21