From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chrony-2.2 failing
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 17:07:03
1 On 24/11/2015 17:24, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 November 2015 09:59:18 I wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think I'll follow Alan's suggestion and head upstream.
5 >
6 > After some discussion with Miroslav Lichvar I've found a chrony.conf that
7 > works for me on my 32-bit 2-core Atom. This is it:
8 >
9 > pool pool.ntp.org iburst
10 > server ntp0.zen.co.uk iburst
11 > server ntp1.zen.co.uk iburst
12 > driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift
13 > makestep 1.0 3
14 > allow 192.168.1/24
15 > mailonchange prh@××××.prhnet 0.5
16 > rtcfile /var/lib/chrony/rtc
17 > rtconutc
18 >
19 > The installation-default file causes the start-stop-daemon to catch an
20 > unexpected interrupt and report an error, even though the chronyd process
21 > continues to run.
22 >
23 > Any time I run 'strace -ff -o/tmp/chronyd.strace /etc/init.d/chronyd start'
24 > the init process runs normally and I'm left with scores of trace files, none
25 > of which help because the stray interrupt wasn't detected.
26 >
27 > So I'm left with a setup that works for me but leaves what looks (to me)
28 > like a timing problem unsolved.
29 >
30 > I'll report back if I hear any more.
35 Ugh, don't you just hate issues like that? The problem with "solutions"
36 like start-stop-daemon is they have to deal with whatever the daemon
37 feels like returning (an infinite number of permutations), so support
38 for daemon is never complete.
39
40 Regardless of what one thinks of systemd, this is one of the things it
41 set out to deal with. There's only one way to start something, and it
42 behaves one way, making behaviour considerably more predictable.
43
44 [ A bit of a rant I know, but I'm still smarting from years of rancid
45 and Cisco logins - basically the same kind of problem you are having on
46 a much larger scale...]
50 Alan McKinnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com