From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chrony-2.2 failing
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:40:09
1 On Wednesday 25 November 2015 19:05:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 24/11/2015 17:24, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 --->8
4 > > The installation-default file causes the start-stop-daemon to catch an
5 > > unexpected interrupt and report an error, even though the chronyd
6 > > process
7 > > continues to run.
8 > >
9 > > Any time I run 'strace -ff -o/tmp/chronyd.strace /etc/init.d/chronyd
10 > > start' the init process runs normally and I'm left with scores of trace
11 > > files, none of which help because the stray interrupt wasn't detected.
12 --->8
13 > Ugh, don't you just hate issues like that? The problem with "solutions"
14 > like start-stop-daemon is they have to deal with whatever the daemon
15 > feels like returning (an infinite number of permutations), so support
16 > for daemon is never complete.
17
18 I've been offered one suggestion which will need me to make a local overlay
19 with a small code change. I'll try that and see what happens.
20
21 > Regardless of what one thinks of systemd, this is one of the things it
22 > set out to deal with. There's only one way to start something, and it
23 > behaves one way, making behaviour considerably more predictable.
24
25 So it does occasionally have one benefit then.
26
27 > [ A bit of a rant I know, but I'm still smarting from years of rancid
28 > and Cisco logins - basically the same kind of problem you are having on
29 > a much larger scale...]
30
31 I'll be content with my tiny scale, thanks very much :)
34 Rgds
35 Peter