From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:46:25
1 On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 24 December 2008 00:03:46 Mick wrote:
3 > > If you are using SSL certificates you must set up the correct domain
4 > > name, with regards to what the client machines see on the intranet/LAN.
5 > > Clearly the IP address is not a FQDN and the certificate check fails.
6 > > So, you want your common name (CN = serv.ethnet or whatever) to be the
7 > > same with the name that your server is seen by the client in the LAN and
8 > > this may involve setting up your router to resolve serv.ethnet to
9 > > 192.168.2.2, or adding an entry in your client's /etc/hosts file to this
10 > > effect.
11 >
12 > I'm not using SSL certificates, or not as far as I know.
13
14 Well, if you are getting security error messages about security certificates
15 as per your previous email, I would think that you have inadvertently perhaps
16 configured SSL connections to your CUPS server?
17
18 > Every host on the
19 > LAN has serv.ethnet in its hosts file, and dnsmasq on the gateway also
20 > knows about it - of course. The problem is not in name resolving. Both the
21 > cups server and the box running the Web browser are on the same LAN
22 > segment. I've just checked all the boxes' hosts files and they're all
23 > correct.
24
25 It could still be a machine naming issue if you are pointing your client to
26 e.g. http://192.168.2.2:631 instead of http://serv.ethnet:631 - which is what
27 I suspect the SSL certificate's CN record shows. Either way - if you disable
28 authentication with SSL this problem will go away.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick