From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it possible for F5 to delete all contacts in Kmail?!!!
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:57:40
1 On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:46:29 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 15 Nov 2011 21:36:14 Florian Philipp wrote:
5 > > Am 15.11.2011 20:39, schrieb Mick:
6 > > > Thankfully this didn't happen on my machine, but I have to fix
7 > > > this all the same ...
8 > > >
9 > > > Is it possible to press F5 (the user thought that this would just
10 > > > refresh the content) while in the Kmail address book and as a
11 > > > result all but the current contact being deleted?
12 > >
13 > > Nope, not here. Besides, F5 really is set to Refresh. I also cannot
14 > > find another shortkey for this and I doubt anyone would waste time
15 > > to implement it.
16 >
17 > Thanks for checking this. Are you using std.vcf or the Kmail
18 > 'Personal Contacts' storage for your address book?
19 >
20 > The kaddressbook that was hosed with pressing F5 was in std.vcf. I'm
21 > not sure I understand the difference between these two akonadi
22 > resources, other than that the std.vcf is the old KDE format
23 > under .kde4/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf, while the Personal Contacts
24 > seems to be stored under .local.share/akonadi/ ).
25
26 Yes, that's how it works - same kind of stuff in a different place.
27
28 There is something you must completely understand about current kdepim,
29 if you don't realize this you will suffer endless pain:
30
31 The developers are trying to be cute and clever and show off how l33t
32 they are. As a result, they break things. Badly.
33
34 As an example, there are warnings in .local.share/akonadi/ that you
35 must not manipulate a certain directory manually, as it is managed by
36 akonadi. It is totally possible that you made manual changes
37 (reasonable thing to do actually) and that F5 refreshes the address list
38 from whatever magic bullshit mechanism akonadi has going and just
39 trashed the address list changes you made. Yes, those devs have done
40 insane things of that order and released that code.
41
42 I'm not saying this is your problem or even that it still is that way -
43 I haven't used kdepim since version 4.4 when I spotted it was a classic
44 "second big project". As with all things, do your homework, see if the
45 code suits your needs, ymmv.
49 Alan McKinnnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com