From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:38:40
1 Kent Fredric <kentfredric <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > X/kde runs fine, but when I exit it now, the system latches up, tight
5 > > all ssh sessions, the console, everything.
6
7 Now X/kde will not start. Everything latches up as soon as I enter
8 'startx' at the console.
9
10 > Try Disabling anything fancy ( ie: composite support ), or try
11 > disabling APIC. I had a glitch a while back where composite + apic =
12 > system lockup, and later, something in QT4 tripped it up.
15 I have no ide how to diable 'composite support'.
16 When the system was ordered it was specified 1680x1050 on the
17 17 inch screen resolution. The few times (sporadically) I did
18 get X/kde to launch, it was is 1024x768 mode. I cold not build
19 a working xorg.conf file, so I boot up the liveCD 2007.0 can
20 copied over the default xorg.conf that at least worked with the
21 liveCD. My suspicion is that xorg.conf file, particularly the
22 Hortz and Vert ranges:
23 HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
24 VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
25
26 Or maybe it the long list of fonts from the xorg.conf file on the livecd2007.0
27 and I have not installed all of those fonts?
28
29 What I need a very simple xorg.conf for a HP Pavilion dv9000z.
30 Googling I found a couple but they did not work and hacking
31 xorg.conf files has always seem to be a moving target for me....
34 I eliminated acpid from the startup, it made no difference:
35 rc-update del acpid default
36
37 Right now I'm running 'emerge --emptytree world'
38 It's on 29/862 for lack of any better ideas.
41 James
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list