From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:32:31
1 >>>>>>> ext2 doesn't have a journal, that's why I suggested it in the
2 >>> first
3 >>>>>>>> place.
4 >>>>>>> My point was against all the journalised filesystems (that
5 >>> includes
6 >>>>>>> NTFS), not against your advice ;)
7 >>>>>>>
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> OP is looking for an fs to put on a memory stick that will work
10 >>>>>> everywhere:
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>>> - vfat
13 >>>>>> - exfat
14 >>>>> He asked for something that would work "across Gentoo systems".
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>>
17 >>>> How does exfat not fulfil that?
18 >>>>
19 >>>>
20 >>> because exfat does not work across gentoo systems. ext2 does.
21 >> Exfat works when the drivers are installed.
22 >> Same goes for ext2.
23 >>
24 >> It is possible to not have support for ext2/3 or 4 and still have a fully functional system. (Btrfs or zfs for the full system for instance)
25 >>
26 >> When using UEFI boot, a vfat partition with support is required.
27 >>
28 >> --
29 >> Joost
30 >
31 > ext2 is on every system, exfat not. ext2 is very stable, tested and well
32 > aged. exfat is some fuse something crap. New, hardly tested and unstable
33 > as it gets.
34 >
35 > And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
38 If I use ext2 on the USB stick, can I mount and use it as any user on
39 any Gentoo system from within a file manager like thunar?
40
41 Should I consider ext3/4 with journaling disabled?
42
43 - Grant