From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:05:08
1 On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Peter Lewis <prlewis@×××××××××××.org> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?':
3 > On Wednesday 21 February 2007 16:03, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > More seriously, there is such a thing as a bad question, and they
5 > > significantly outnumber the good. Most questions provide too little
6 > > information to get a really useful answer.
7 >
8 > That may well be true, but it doesn't make the question invalid - just
9 > perhaps in the wrong forum.
10
11 It doesn't make the question invalid, at all. But, it does reduce the
12 amount of responses you get AND limit their quality, no matter what medium
13 is used. AFAIK, no one on IRC/email/forums is getting paid to do Gentoo
14 support, so when answering a question is too much work, we can just skip
15 it. If we have to guess to much of your setup or list a large number of
16 possible problems (because we don't know which ones it isn't) or enter a
17 longer dialog to get the information to solve the problem, you might just
18 get skipped.
19
20 While ESR is sometimes full of crap, he does have good guide on how to ask
21 questions that will attract good answers:
22 http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
23
24 > So, and I ask this as an honest question, is it generally accepted that
25 > the level of technical knowledge expected on this list is higher than,
26 > say, on the forums? Or the IRC channels?
27
28 I tend to think that technically savvy users will migrate to email/IRC, but
29 I don't have any foundation for that belief. That probably me just being
30 elitist. I've always thought that web forums generally suck as a medium.
31
32 > I'm relatively new to the Gentoo community, though not to online or
33 > computing communities generally, and am finding that there are a lot
34 > more unspoken norms or rules than I am used to (or perhaps the seasoned
35 > members are less forgiving of them being broken), which can be quite a
36 > disincentive to a newcomer.
37
38 Hrm, I can't say there are many more rules here than on my other mailing
39 lists, but there are a number of informal rules that are NOT laid out in
40 any FAQ or welcome message. It would be helpful for at least some people
41 if we would let them know about our 5 pillars: "Plain-Text Only", "No
42 Top-Posting", "No Thread Hijacking", "Attachments Only By Request (and
43 consider private mail)", and "Trim Quoted Material".
46 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
47 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
48 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
49 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
50 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!