From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:19:05
1 On Monday 22 March 2010 17:05:12 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 03/22/2010 06:54 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Stroller
4 > >
5 > > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > >> I was very impressed by Windows 7 recently. I installed it for a
7 > >> customer and it seems wonderful. I even considered trying it myself, but
8 > >> I realised that the inability to copy settings from one profile or
9 > >> machine to another is a *complete* deal-breaker to me.
10 > >
11 > > [OT]
12 > >
13 > > In Windows XP it was called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". It
14 > > could be run from the Windows install CD or maybe it was installed as
15 > > well. You ran it on the source machine, then on the target machine and
16 > > it did its magic. It even carried over individual apps settings for
17 > > supported products (microsoft, adobe, etc). Did they get rid of that
18 > > tool in later versions of Windows?
19 >
20 > No, it's still there (and improved). No idea why Stroller couldn't find
21 > it.
22
23 Hmm ... I have W7 on my new laptop. I booted it 3 times in as many months.
24 One of these times was to update the BIOS. All I can say its that I found it
25 enormously irritating because many things are not where I would expect to
26 find them (like defrag). There is however a search function - which is only
27 good if you already know the name of the executable.
28
29 TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax on
30 all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular laptop.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick