From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:09:45
1 On Wed, 27 May 2015 18:38:08 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Eselect news list 2015-3-28 lists "True multilib support on amd64"
4 >
5 > For me, I run a simple profile: [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
6 >
7 > Because I run lxde and have experimented with several other minimalistic
8 > desktops, including lxqt. Currently, I run lxde. If I emerge with the
9 > --deep option, I get so much breakage that 3000 lines of scrollback is
10 > not enough to get to the head of the problem. Many errors contain the
11 > common string "abi_x86_32" which is central to the aforementioned news
12 > item. I have read this news item many times, tried many ideas, and
13 > still have this phantom problem. I can delete some packages had at
14 > the update, hours to days, get it cleaned up to where -D works and a
15 > couple of emerge --syncs later the problem reappears. Global update
16 > without (-D) --deep are just fine.
19 > I have no idea if this "phantom issue" relates to yours or not. I have
20 > hesitated to post about it, because in a decade of gentoo usage (and
21 > there have been some ruff patches to say the least) I have never
22 > experienced a transient recurring problem like this. I think I need a
23 > much longer version of that news item and some cook_book syntax to
24 > fixing these (phantom) multilb issues on my amd64 systems that I am
25 > experiencing.
26 >
27 > Some simple questions::
28 >
29 > 1. How do you test if indeed a system is multilib?
30
31 It is, as you are not using a no-multilib profile.
32
33 > 2. Can a system be change, readily, from multilib to not and then back?
34
35 No.
36
37 > 3. Is a more specific profile needed for one where you intend to
38 > run only a minimalist (lxqt) desktop (than what I listed above)?
39
40 No, that is a fairly basic profile.
41
42 > Comments and guidance are warmly appreciated.
43 > Peter I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but enquire as to
44 > commonality.
45
46 Your problem is different but has been covered in previous threads, as
47 well as the news item. You could add ABI_X86="32 64" to make.conf, but
48 that won't fit in with your desire for minimalism. So you need to run
49 emerge with --autounmask-write then run etc-update or equivalent to apply
50 the changes to package.use.
54 Neil Bothwick
55
56 If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it
57 considered a hostage situation?