From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Encrypted cell 2 gentoo
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:44:08
1 Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > > Ahh, OK. So secure communications between all these clients.
4 > > The two big players for client-side encryption for email or messaging
5 > > data would be GPG and OTR;
6
7 Good 2 know. I'll keep searching for docs.
8
9 > Also S/MIME encryption of the email message body using SSL certificates
10 > achieves the same end result (i.e. encrypted payload) as GnuPG offers.
11 > For GPG you may need a plugin (e.g. enigmail on T'bird) or something
12 > similar for phone clients, but S/MIME is usually available by default for
13 > most email clients and platforms.
14
15 OK, so maybe I'll test out a few devices, provide some feedback and then
16 seen about a (gentoo wiki) page. If the community is not interested in
17 that I bet these guys would put up some sort of community cook-book on
18 this topic:: [1]
19
20 Dont know who they are, but they seem to be on the right track,
21 and they big on Gentoo!
22
23 > A word of caution: Snowden warned us that the end devices do not ossess
24 > strong enough randomness generators to ensure that the encryption they
25 > perform cannot be reverse engineered.
26
27 Intel has long been hiding extra hardware inside of their processors, for a
28 variety of nefarious activities. Here is a link where they now let the
29 retail world in on what has been going on for decades [2].
30
31 This is why the US gov keeps hyping how bad security is, so the gov can take
32 steps and the sub-contract out the details for billions (it's the new cold
33 war and we have to be scared enough to get the govs to protect us, right?
34 And all of that horse_feathers....
35
36 Anyone doing gate/register design/validations with Intel parts, decades ago,
37 stumbled into areas of the the intel chips with hidden hardware. Just slice
38 them and put them under any high res scanner nowadays.... Sadly, everybody
39 in the chip bidness does this routinely now. SoCs are all full
40 of this crap.
41
42 The old AT&T phone switches (think 3B2) had this sort of 'undefined
43 hardware'. Nothing new 'signal intercept' is good to search on, but most
44 of the Intel (get the pun?) has been scrubbed form the internet on
45 'signal intercept'; particularly the Rf stuff.
46
47 > A recent article shared on this M/L also showed that anything with Intel
48 > inside® can be deemed as intentionally weakened to enable potential
49 > interference with our privacy.
50
51 Got that link handy? Part of the SSL v2 v3 stuff? I was hoping somebody
52 would write up a summary, and detail action plans from a gentoo
53 workstation, gentoo server and gentoo-cluster perspective on the state
54 of SSL.* issues.
55
56 > Therefore treat your encrypted communications and their content with
57 > caution, because you don't know how private these may remain in the
58 > future.
59
60 Kinda like a very gorgeous woman, with a low credit score (yak yak yhak)?
61 Or like an 'old bug' flying towards the light (ZAP)?
62 Certainly, but, the low rent hacks might be held at bay a little longer.
63 Still, we should make the effort to streamline and document pathways, with
64 ample warnings of cautions.
67 [1] https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Encryption
68
69 [2]