From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge ignoring -v switch
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:19:52
1 On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 14:05:29 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 08:27:33AM +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > > > Remerged python, verified the right python via eselect, remerge
4 > > > > portage, etc etc etc etc I just can't seem to get proper output from
5 > > > > emerge anymore no matter what. Other than that everything is working
6 > > > > fine, but I do need to see actual output.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > Anyone know what to do to fix this?
9 > > >
10 > > > Did you enable parallel builds? I.e. added --jobs and/or --load related
11 > > > options to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS? In that case emerge uses this kind of
12 > > > output, because obviously you can’t display multiple builds at the same
13 > > > time in one window.
14 > > >
15 > > > The -v flag, to my knowledge, only affects the output of -p and -a,
16 > > > adding information like used and changed use flags and file size to
17 > > > download for each package to be installed.
18 > >
19 > > I've got both -j and -l set in my MAKEOPTS and portage is quite verbose
20 > > as it has always been. I don't know if EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS has a
21 > > different effect.
22 >
23 > Indeed it has. MAKE_OPTS contains options to make, whereas
24 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS contains those for emerge. Both have a -j option. If
25 > you tell -j (jobs) to emerge, it will do as many emerges simultaneously.
26
27 Oh I see! Thanks for explaining this.
28
29 But then if there were say 5 ebuilds running in parallel and all their output
30 printed in the same terminal, it would be almightily difficult to untangle the
31 spaghetti that may show up in an error?
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick