From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: reader@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emacs shell color question
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 00:28:52
1 On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:51:22 -0600
2 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3
4 ...[snip]...
5 >
6 > Good, however you should not really need to use ansi-mode.
7 > I do not, and don't have the trouble you mentioned.
8 >
9 > In normal shell-mode (M-x shell) I do see the escape sequences you
10 > mention but not in eshell (M-x eshell).
11 >
12 > I think, if you post on gmane.emacs.help with what you are
13 > experiencing someone will be able to help you identify, what in your
14 > OS setup is causing the problem.
15 >
16 > I did notice one thread where the user ended up discovering somekind
17 > of alias to ls that was causing his problem.
18 >
19 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/39496/focus=39505
20 >
21 > Typing `alias' in an xterm might reveal something. Here I see:
22 > alias ls='ls --color=auto'
23 > as the only reference to ls.
24 >
25 > Posting there with your exact problem would probably be best.
26
27 I generally have ls aliased to 'ls --color=none' and that works
28 fine. In my post I used ls as a simple example of a program
29 that can/does use escape sequences.
30
31 Other programs that use escape sequences are emerge and runscript
32 (used in starting services). Alias 'emerge --color'
33 suppresses ansi color sequences for direct invocations of emerge
34 (because the alias is used for that).
35
36 I also use 'eix-sync' which runs emerge. In _this_ instance, ansi
37 escape sequences are _not_ suppressed and I do find them annoying.
38
39 Now that I'm home from work, I have the time to experiment :->
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list