From: Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amarok segfault
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 05:58:47
1 On Monday 24 Oct 2011 00:06:21 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > András Csányi writes:
3 > > I'm an average Amarok user and experiencing a random segfault I
4 > > decided that I would like to report it. I know I have to recompile
5 > > Amarok with debug flag but I'm not sure it is enough. Can you tell me
6 > > what is needed more?
7 >
8 > No, I think the debug USE flag has another purpose.
9 > You need to add '-gddb' to you CFLAGS in make.conf, and make sure that
10 > 'nostrip' or better 'splitdebug' is in your FEATURES list (the debug
11 > code added by -gddb would be stripped away if not). This will get you a
12 > useful backtrace in DrKonqui, if you are using KDE.
13 >
14 > > By the way, these reports should be send for the
15 > > Amarok developers not gentoo guys, shouldn't they?
16 >
17 > I would say so, but I'm not entirely sure. It's easier this way, but
18 > there's a slight chance that the problem is Gentoo-specific.
19 >
20 > Wonko
21
22 Also if you dont want to do thos globbaly for all your packages you can make
23 use of /etc/portage/env/.
24 For example this is what i have for amarok in
25 /etc/portage/env/media-sound/amarok
26
27 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O1 -g"
28 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
29
30 FEATURES="splitdebug"
31
32 also note when doing it this way, you will also have to do this for a few
33 dependencies that amarok uses. The way i did it was, When dr konqi pops up
34 after amarok crashes, it displays a list of files needed for a more usefull
35 backtrace (in the developer information tab).Use equery to find out which
36 packages those files belong to and add an entry in /etc/portage/env for them.
37 After thats done rebuild those pacakges.
42 - Yohan Pereira
43
44 "A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer