From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa config
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:07:22
1 On Saturday 20 August 2005 14:31, Christoph Eckert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > > I've tried modifying the conf file for this by putting in
5 > > snd-intel8x0, but the system isn't reading it for some reason.  do I
6 > > need to unmerge alsa-driver and start again ?
7 >
8 > you only need the alsa drivers if
9 >
10 > * you're still on 2.4 kernels
11 > * you haven't activated the in-kernel drivers in your 2.6 kernel
12 >
13 > I use the drivers of the 2.6 kernel and am just happy with it.
14 >
15 > Check the following:
16 >
17 > * The config file is /etc/modules.d/alsa
18 >
19 > * Mine contains something like
20 >
21 > alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
22 > alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
23 > alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
24 >
25 > options snd device_mode=0666
26 >
27 > alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
28 > alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
29 >
30 > and it works. There are no further ALSA driver configuration files.
31 >
32 > After this, try
33 >
34 > /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
35 >
36 > Use alsamixer in a console window to adjust the settings. Ensure master
37 > is open and PCM is unmuted and open.
40 > Best regards & good luck,
43 > ce
44
45 I have a question about that...using the in-kernel alsa drivers and I get
46 sound fine with xmms under kde, but the system notification sounds are
47 silent. I'm kinda mystified.
48 --
49 John Jolet
50 Your On-Demand IT Department