From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: usb external drive
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:43:54
1 James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
4 > I use ivman with usb sticks and move them between windoze
5 > and linux systems without issue. I just got a FreeAgent
6 > usb 2.0 external disk drive and expected it to work
7 > just like a usb stick (not really sure why I had this expectation).
8
9 > It does not show up with a 'df' command, like a usbstick
10 > would under /media. I'm not sure why it does not behave like
11 > a generic usb stick?
12
13 Well I hate to be the only one answering my posts....
14
15 I think I found the problem. Linux does not think a (v)FAT
16 file system is on the drive. From dmesg I get this:
17
18 Late last I night I got this response to a manual attempt to
19 mount the drive:
20
21 mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /mnt/usbdrive
22
23 # dmesg | tail
24 sdb: Mode Sense: 1c 00 00 00
25 sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
26 sdb: sdb1
27 sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdb
28 sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
29 usb-storage: device scan complete
30 FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
31 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb.
32 FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
33 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb.
36 Today when I try and manually mount the drive I get this:
37
38 hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read method instead.
39 sd 4:0:0:0: Device not ready: <6>: Current: sense key: Not Ready
40 Additional sense: Logical unit not ready, initializing command required
41 end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
42 FAT: unable to read boot sector
45 I think I just need to format the drive with a fat partition.
46
47 This is the first USBdrive I've set up so I'm being
48 cautious. Am I missing anything else?
49
50 James
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list