From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync from ext3 to vfat?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:33:11
1 On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM, <ny6p01@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:12:40PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>    I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
5 >> on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
6 >> I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
7 >> eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
8 >> device it will be plugged into.
9 >>
10 >>    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
11 >>
12 >> Cheers,
13 >> Mark
16 > FWIW, I routinely backup important directories with rsync from ext3 and ext4
17 > file systems to vfat, with no additional options. The command I use is:
18 >
19 > sudo rsync -vvvruxi --size-only --exclude-from=/home/rh/rsync-home-excl-list /home/rh/ /mnt/Datastor/Gentoo/
20 > for the home directory.
21 >
22 > HTH.
23 >
24 > Terry
27 Thanks Terry. I'm through about 30GB of the 400GB I want to back up.
28 It looks like it's working.
29
30 The --size-only option was what I needed. (Assuming it completes
31 without any other problems.)
32
33 Cheers,
34 Mark
35
36 NOTE: To others discussing the various positives and negatives of
37 Windows file systems please note that I had no choice in the matter.
38 The only thing this piece of equipment accepts on it's USB port is
39 VFAT.