From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] x looses ctrl, alt and shift keys
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:33:21
1 hi all,
2
3 apologies for the all-lowercase and other features of this email - but
4 therein lies my problem -exclamation mark-
5
6 from time to time x will just pretend that the caps lock, shift, and alt
7 keys have dropped off the face of the earth... this means i can't copy n
8 paste, i can't type email address, i can't switch consoles, i can't use
9 any keyboard shortcuts rendering most programs useless... as has
10 happened now, as you can tell by the lack of uppercase, smileys, etc in
11 this email...
12
13 using xev, the keypresses are definitely still getting through and
14 recognised as the right keys. my laptop keyboard or a usb keyboard do
15 the same thing. if i switch to a vt by using `sudo chvt 2` then i can
16 use shift, etc again. i can even ctrl-alt-f7 to get back to x, but then
17 i can't use ctrl-alt to get away again.
18
19 the only thing that solves it is logging out and restarting x. which is
20 sometimes not possible for a while when i'm in the middle of flashing
21 firmware on a device...
22
23 the only thing i can think of that might affect this is vmware or vnc.
24 i'm using both a lot at the moment, so perhaps something to do with the
25 keyboard grabbing is affecting x -question mark- however closing both
26 vnc and vmware don't fix it...
27
28 well, i sure would appreciate any hints... thanks -smile-
32 Our sires' age was worse that our grandsires'.
33 We their sons are more worthless than they:
34 so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.
35 -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list