From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ati -- dreaded "xf86-ENOMEM" error
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:23:35
1 Mark Knecht schreef:
2 > On 8/25/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>--- Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>What motherboard do you have?
8 >>
9 >>Asus K8N-E Deluxe skt 754 w/nVidia chipset
13 > <hehe!!> We're in this one together buddy! I managed to buy one of
14 > those motherboards today from NewEgg. I'll be building the machine
15 > next week.
16 >
17 > Here's my guess. If you look at 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 the NVidia AGP
18 > support clearly says Nforce/Nforce2. My suspicion is that the AGP
19 > chipset support for this chipset (NForce4) isn't in the kernel yet and
20 > that we need to find a patch, or possibly look at a kernel.org kernel
21 > for like 2.6.13/14/15, etc. and find one that does.
22 >
23 > Assuming that there isn't a patch then we get in line with the kernel
24 > developers and work to get one done. I had this problem with my laptop
25 > when I first got it and couldn't get DMA for the ATI cipset. It took
26 > between 30 and 60 days as I remember.
27 >
28 > Anyway, I bought one today so I'm in the life raft with ya!
29 >
30 > Cheers,
31 > Mark
34 Have you guys looked at the nvidia site? They have 'drivers' (i.e.,
35 kernel modules) for their motherboard chipsets as well as their video
36 cards. Perhaps that's what you both need. I know that nvidia-kernel and
37 nvidia-glx exist in Portage for the video cards, but that's not of much
38 use if your kernel doesn't have the ability to talk to the mobo in the
39 first place (and we do know that an nForce board does speak its own
40 language).
41
42 http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0306.html
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list