From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:53:22
1 On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:31:57 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > One thing that you seem to be missing here. Before Gentoo, I used
4 > Mandrake. It had a init thingy. It caused me much grief and is one
5 > reason I left Mandrake. I also didn't like the upgrade process either
6 > but one reason I chose Gentoo is no init thingy. I wanted to be rid of
7 > that. Now, whether it is udev or not, here comes that stupid init
8 > thingy just because someone doesn't want to put files where they should
9 > be which is not inside /usr.
10
11 Mandrake used an initrd, not the same as an initramfs, which is directly
12 supported by the kernel.
13
14 > So, given my history with the init thingy, if I do use a init thingy and
15 > it fails for whatever reason, I'll be installing something else.
16
17 Good luck trying to find something else that doesn't use an init*.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 WindowError:01B Illegal error. Do NOT get this error.