From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:56:23
1 > > As I have previously posted about, my host sent me an email a few days
2 > > ago stating that support tickets for 5,000-6,000 of their clients had
3 > > been broken into. I checked my records and found that my root
4 > > password had previously been submitted in a support ticket. I then
5 > > decided I needed to reinstall my system.
6 > >
7 > > I requested that my host allow me access to a second machine for 2-5
8 > > days while I switch over to a clean system, after that I would turn
9 > > the old system over to them and continue with the new system.
10 > >
11 > > My request was denied! I'm blown away by this. Was I asking too much?
12 > >
13 > > - Grant
14 >
15 > You are probably asking more than their terms of service *require* them to
16 > provide, especially if they don't believe the leaked information was used for
17 > any nefarious activity.
18 > However a reasonable webhost who accepts responsibility for its mistakes and
19 > values its customers would probably grant such a request as a gesture of
20 > goodwill - unless they were worried about opening the floodgates for every
21 > customer to request such treatment, a scenario which would likely leave them
22 > unable to comply even if they wanted to.
23 > As a side note, although I agree with all the comments about 'never been sure'
24 > a system is still clean, did you check whether there was actually any root
25 > logins to your server not from your IP since the breach? If I was in your
26 > situation and could confirm that no root logins occurred (via ssh, ftp,
27 > cpanel, whatever else is running) from other ip's I'd probably rest easy just
28 > changing my password.
29
30 Wouldn't it be trivial for them to edit the logs though?
31
32 - Grant
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list