From: ny6p01 <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config thingy, "make menuconfig"
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 23:27:39
1 Lee 😎
2
3 On Jan 15, 2022 at 3:01 PM, Fabulous Zhang Zheng <zheng1181822466@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
8 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>于2022年1月15日 周六下午10:39写道:
9
10 > Dear all,
11 > I'm in the process of fiddling around with the config of my
12 > kernel.
13 > This means using the "menu config thingy" that "make menuconfig"
14 > builds. It is very frustrating. Does anyone know why stuff is not in
15 > alphabetical order? It's a pain in the clacka trying to find some of the
16 > entries. For example "Device Drivers -> Android". You would expect it to
17 > be near the top of the device drivers, but no, it's near the bottom.
18 >
19 > No, I'm not expecting anyone to "fix" it, just basically a whinge.
20 >
21 > Andrew
22 >
23 > Good morning,
24
25 for me the "/" search in "make menuconfig" tells me the structure
26 location, and the same search in "make nconfig" simply finds and jumps to
27 the location in that page.
28
29 Also for convenience I usually "make localyesconfig" then check it through
30 using "make nconfig" to quickly search in some menu and remove/add some
31 option.
32
33 I actually set aside an hour or two to go through the whole tree, paying
34 particular attention to everything marked NEW. I actually enjoy seeing what
35 new functionality has been added with each upgrade even if it is irrelevant
36 to my hardware. It's still good to know. Like the new built in NTFS support
37 in 5.15. I might have missed this if I hadn't come across it!