From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Your opinion on jpeg encoders, please
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 17:12:09
1 On 07/01/2021 02:22, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 04/01/2021 23:37, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> However I noticed that the latter procuces larger files for the same
4 >> quality
5 >> setting. So currently, I first save with a very high setting from
6 >> Showfoto
7 >> and then recompress the whole directory in a one-line-loop using
8 >> imagemagick’s convert.
9
10 > You lose some extra quality when doing this due to recompression. What
11 > you should do is save in a lossless format (like png or bmp) and then
12 > convert that to jpg.
13 >
14 If you're doing that (which I recommend), I set my camera to "raw +
15 jpeg", and then dump the raw files to DVD. That way, it doesn't matter
16 what happens to the jpegs as you can always re-create them.
17
18 If you've only got jpegs (why are you using a rubbish camera :-) then
19 just dump the original jpegs to DVD - that's why what Google do is so
20 bad - they compress it to upload it from your Android phone, and then
21 delete the original! AND THAT'S THE DEFAULT !!!
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol