From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:32:05
1 On Friday, 21 June 2019 13:57:23 BST Mick wrote:
2 > I'm not sure I use the correct terminology below, but please bear with me
3 > while I try to describe a long standing problem I'm trying to solve:
4 >
5 > I've been mostly using x11-terms/rxvt-unicode as a terminal emulator in X.
6 > When resizing its window to a larger width, long lines of code which had
7 > wrapped over to the next line, are re-adjusted (reflow) to the new line
8 > length covering the increased width of the resized wider window. I assume
9 > this is because the urxvt window content is redrawn in real time. Not all
10 > commands allow this. For example, 'ps axf' neither wraps over nor is
11 > redrawn, chopping off all content not fitting within the available terminal
12 > window width.
13 >
14 > In xterm and friends the lines remain at the same original fixed width,
15 > whether the window is resized to a wider setting or not. In other words the
16 > line of code does not reflow to adapt to the extra length afforded by a now
17 > wider window aperture.
18 >
19 > Is there some setting I can apply to address this annoying phenomenon?
20
21 In case what I am asking for is not clear: How can I make xterm/konsole
22 behave like rxvt-unicode does and redraw the content to fit the changed window
23 width?
26 Regards,
27 Mick