From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Power failure in the middle of emerge --emptytree world
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:03:45
1 On 7/25/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 > > Now if I could just get the machine to work properly I'd be in heaven!
5 > > ;-)
6 > >
7 > > Cheers all,
8 > > Mark
9 >
10 > Keep in mind that when it is compiling that it is done in a temporary
11 > location. After the compile is done, then it copies it over. Now if it
12 > dies while it was copying to it's place to actually run, usually /, then
13 > there could be problems. Unless it was changed, compiling takes place
14 > in /var/tmp/portage.
15 >
16 > Someone correct me if I am wrong.
17 >
18 > Dale
19
20 Dale,
21 Sorry. My bad for making such an off-hand comment. The emerge
22 process worked completely correctly and everything was moved to the
23 right place. None of that is a problem.
24
25 The problem I'm having is that I have two machines with identical
26 hardware. (Pundit-R's). They were both running as MythTV frontend only
27 boxes using an old kernel, old ati-driver and old MythTV. One I
28 rebuilt from scratch instead of updating. It works perfectly. The
29 second I updated because it also serves as an NFS file server and I
30 didn't want to take it off line for very long. For some reason on the
31 second machine ati-drivers won't load. That's the problem I was
32 alluding to earlier.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark