From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:51:44
1 On Thursday, 25 February 2021 04:29:25 GMT Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 2/24/21 9:16 PM, John Covici wrote:
3
4 [snip ...]
5
6 > > Unless you have a lot of customizations, reinstall would be much
7 > > better.
8
9 It would probably be better even with a lot of customizations. ;-)
10
11 At least it /should/ be better in terms of time and effort spent.
14 > I'd really rather not do that. I'm more likely to leave this system as
15 > it is and plan on upgrading it some time in '21. There's considerably
16 > more to it than I want to wholesale replace.
17
18 A reinstall in this context is not a wholesale replace. It implies obtaining
19 the latest Stage 3 archive from a mirror, but retaining part of your current
20 installation. Your /home, /etc, /var/lib/portage/world, plus any databases
21 e.g. in /var/lib/mysql/ and your kernel config will be retained from your
22 existing system and will not be replaced. Back these up first along with any
23 particular customizations you have made, before you untar Stage 3, so you can
24 restore them.
25
26 Then rsync portage, update all your @world packages and build a new kernel
27 (make oldconfig). Spend some time merging existing application config files
28 with etc-update to make them compatible with the latest versions of these
29 packages, reboot and hopefully that should be all there is to it.
32 > Besides, wouldn't each of the incremental processes over the last year
33 > have been possible? ;-)
34
35 Yes, it would have been, but what is the benefit of updating multiple packages
36 many times over, instead of doing it just once?