From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VM Ware or not?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:22:07
1 Hello, folks --
2
3 Most days, I work remotely from the 'ndoze net via rdesktop when I have
4 to access it for some reason. But the bandwidth there is getting choked
5 as others follow suit.
6
7 I'm thinking I'd have a better time of it if I just had my own little
8 toybox -- I mean, Windows XP installation -- at home. Sure, I can
9 dual-boot, but then I lose the whole of my reasons for having a real
10 OS. And I'd put up another machine, but I have enough anxiety over the
11 ones I have to maintain already. Why bring that kind of trouble into
12 your home?
13
14 So, the quick question is, is VM Ware the best way to go? I think XP is
15 still lurking on a partition here... and I do need to run Internet
16 Extorter, Outlook, etc... pretend I'm in their "domain"...
17
18 At any rate, I'm hoping some on the list can give me a leg up on this.
19
20 My first question is, what does this mean to me:
21
22 * app-emulation/vmware-workstation
23 Available versions: 4.5.3.19414-r7 5.5.5.56455 ~6.0.1.55017!f
24 ~6.0.2.59824!f
25
26 ... when I downloaded the evaluation license and a tar.gz, does that
27 satisfy the "!f", for example? What do I do with it, then? I do notice
28 the version number matches.
29
30 And the other question I hate to ask -- I'm pretty sure there is one,
31 but, if there is a Gentoo HOW-TO on this process, where is it and IS IT
32 UP TO DATE??? ;-)
33
34 Any and all pointers welcome!
35
36 . . .
37
38 I just read through a bunch of stuff on-line, found the vmware overlay,
39 and I feel less sure of how to proceed than before writing this. '-)
40
41 Cheers,
46 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
47 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org