From: Fernando Freire <freire14@××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:51:31
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Spidey / Claudio <spideybr@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > >Complementing James comment, when I messed with Gentoo on a notebook I
4 > >also tried the confusing and troublesome way: configuring wi-fi to
5 > >connect at boot time. It was REALLY a challenge, maintaining a
6 > >realistic configuration file, which would let you boot with network up
7 > >equally while home and while at work. At the end of the day, I just
8 > >regressed to no boot configuration and went with wicd or
9 > >NetworkManager.
10 > >When I came back to configuring my desktop, it felt strange to run
11 > >dhcp at boot time, I even tried migrating a wired box to
12 > >NetworkManager, but ended with a static config nevertheless.
15 I'm curious, why is running DHCP at boot time not recommended? Before
16 running any sort of network manager I ran dhcp on boot (I'll admit it, it
17 was awkward when I wasn't wired in, since I would have to wait for dhcp to
18 time out). It wasn't too terrible since I only had about 3 or 4 wireless
19 networks I could possibly connect to. Between the Gentoo Handbook and Google
20 I didn't have a terrible time setting it up; heck, I didn't even know there
21 was a better way of managing wireless networks!