From: Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:05:51
1 On 28-Oct-07, at 5:26 PM, b.n. wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Sorry for the slight OT. On Monday I'll have a new shiny MacBook
6 > Pro at
7 > home :) (where I will install Gentoo, of course). For this reason, I'd
8 > like to have wireless at home.
9 >
10 > So I'm planning to buy a wireless router to share my current DSL*
11 > connection. Since my knowledge on wireless is practically none (I
12 > never
13 > owned a notebook since 386 days), I'd like to hear what Gentooers have
14 > to say on how to choose it.
15 >
16 > I was also thinking about *building* the wireless router by using
17 > one of
18 > the old boxes I have at home and good ol'Tux. Is this possible? In
19 > this
20 > case, what kind of wireless hardware do I need to attach?
21
22 It sounds like what you really want to get is a Linksys WRT54GL[1]
23 that you can then flash with something like dd-wrt[2] or OpenWRT[3].
24
25 Aaron
26
27 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#WRT54GL