From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:21:11
1 On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 1:10 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm back to my old kernel tho since my nvidia-drivers won't work with a
4 > kernel that high. I run into this on rare occasions.
5
6 They are only rare because you aren't updating regularly.
7
8 If you want to run external kernel modules like nvidia-drivers or zfs,
9 stick to a longterm kernel. The ABI changes all the time, and so
10 there will frequently be stable kernel version changes that break
11 nvidia-drivers. Then there will be a lag before nvidia-drivers
12 supports the new stable kernel. In the meantime you can't run the
13 latest version, and that can mean security issues.
14
15 The longterm kernels rarely break nvidia-drivers and get all the
16 security and other fixes. They just don't get new features.
19 Rich