From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 06:10:14
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while.  I tried upgrading
5 > to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18.  I upgraded like I always
6 > do, copy .config over and run make oldconfig.  Once I get everything in
7 > /boot, init thingy and all, I update grub.  When I get around to
8 > rebooting, the new kernels always fail part way through booting.  I
9 > can't recall the error since I last tried a newer kernel several months
10 > ago.
11 >
12 > I'm about to try to jump to version 6.0.5 which is latest in the tree.
13 > Is there some major change that causes copying .config file from 5.14 to
14 > 5.18 or higher to break?  Do I need to configure a new kernel from
15 > scratch in other words?  While I try to answer each question the best I
16 > can, either I'm breaking something or something else breaks preventing
17 > updating from older versions.  I just don't know which it is. Me or it.
18 >
19 > Thoughts?
20 >
21 > Thanks.
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
25 > :-)  :-)
29 Little update.  This nvidia driver problem, see other thread, was
30 getting on my nerve.  After my weekly sync and package updates were
31 done, I rebooted.  The new kernel booted just fine.  I guess the other
32 two kernels just went bad, most likely my fault but who knows.  So,
33 upgrading from a older 5.14 kernel to a 6.0 kernel is doable.
34 Everything booted just fine.
35
36 I'm back to my old kernel tho since my nvidia-drivers won't work with a
37 kernel that high.  I run into this on rare occasions.  Most of the time
38 it works but on rare occasions, it fails.  Maybe with the next nvidia
39 update it will work.  According to the info it puked on my keyboard,
40 5.19 or so is the latest nvidia supports.
41
42 I did re-emerge the nvidia drivers for the old kernel.  So far, my
43 second screen appears to be working.  When I rebooted, both screens
44 worked without me having to reconfigure several times.  I have not
45 turned off my two TVs to be 100% sure tho.  My reboot was short enough
46 the TVs stayed powered up.  I'm not sure if them powering off triggers
47 it or not but powered off is usually where I start.
48
49 If I get bored, and it warms up a little, I may build a 5.19 kernel.
50 Thing is, by the time I get around to rebooting, nvidia may have updated
51 and the new one I already got will work.  :/
52
53 Thanks to all.
54
55 Dale