From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:39:25
1 On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:33:02PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Bruce Hill wrote:
3 > > mingdao@workstation ~ $ eselect news read
4 > > 2013-09-27-initramfs-required
5 > > Title Separate /usr on Linux requires initramfs
6 > > Author William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
7 > > Posted 2013-09-27
8 > > Revision 1
9 > >
10 > > Linux systems which have / and /usr on separate file systems but do not
11 > > use an initramfs will not be supported starting on 01-Nov-2013.
12 > >
13 > > If you have / and /usr on separate file systems and you are not
14 > > currently using an initramfs, you must set one up before this date.
15 > > Otherwise, at some point on or after this date, upgrading packages
16 > > will make your system unbootable.
17 > >
18 > > For more information on setting up an initramfs, see this URL:
19 > >
20 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/HOWTO
21 > >
22 > > Due to many upstream changes, properly supporting Linux systems that
23 > > have /usr missing at boot time has become increasingly difficult.
24 > > Despite all our efforts, it already breaks in some exotic
25 > > configurations, and this trend is likely to grow worse.
26 > >
27 > > For more information on the upstream changes and why using an initramfs
28 > > is the cleanest route forward, see the following URLs:
29 > >
30 > > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
31 > > https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2013/01/the-boot-process
35 > I'm hoping that since I use eudev, I don't have to worry about this. If
36 > I do, this could get interesting, again.
37 >
38 > Dale
39
40 Do you have /usr separate from / ?
41 --
42 Happy Penguin Computers >')
43 126 Fenco Drive ( \
44 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
46 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
47 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
48
49 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
50 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
51 A: Top-posting.
52 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
53
54 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting