From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Radeon navi cards and opencl
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:30:28
1 On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 18:21:48 BST Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2021-08-31 at 16:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > AMD have published Linux drivers on their website, but in RPM and .deb
4 > > formats. I tried one anyway, but installation stops immediately with
5 > > 'unsupported OS'. Not surprising, of course, but is there any way of
6 > > porting an archive full of .debs so that it can be used in Gentoo?
7 >
8 > Lots of portage ebuild files make use of vendor-published .deb / .rpm
9 > files, manipulating them to install files in the Gentoo-style way.
10 >
11 > One of the more straightforward and yet complete examples I've seen is
12 > the Microsoft Teams (net-im/teams) package[1] but there are certainly
13 > others to use for examples.
14 >
15 > If you wanted, you could try making an ebuild for the deb files from
16 > AMD, whether only for your own needs or to possibly share with others.
17
18 That's a huge undertaking in this case. Beyond me, I deem.
19
20 > 1:https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-im/teams/teams-1.4.00.1
21 > 3653-r1.ebuild
22
23 The thing is, there's already an ebuild for dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl, but
24 since I upgraded the display card the resulting code hasn't worked. BOINC
25 reports 'No usable GPUs found' and sources on the Web say that neither of the
26 two drivers works. Impasse.
27
28 Am I going to have to replace the old display card and write off the expense?
29 Looks like it.
32 Regards,
33 Peter.