From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:26:37
1 On Tuesday, 10 May 2022 09:17:32 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Indeed, and I've now replaced the speakers, the 3.5mm cable and the USB
4 > dongle - every sound component is new. When I tested it yesterday in the
5 > plasma control panel, I heard one "front left", very loud, and then nothing.
6 > I thought some BT stuff must still be lying around somewhere, so I've
7 > installed a new system from scratch, using a kernel .config from before I
8 > started with BT, and today I still hear no sound.
9 >
10 > This seems like witchcraft now.
11
12 Before you start ritual exorcisms, have you checked you are using the correct
13 3.5mm jack and it is inserted properly? See below:
14
15 Jacks have a TS, or TRS, TRRS, or TRRRS contacts arrangement, depending on the
16 connectivity they are meant to offer - mono, stereo, stereo+mic and whether
17 this is balanced or unbalanced.
18
19 Once I plugged in earphones (earbuds) with a 3.5mm jack in a MoBo and ended up
20 with my ears getting uncomfortably warm in seconds. Whatever voltage that
21 MoBo was applying to the 3.5mm socket was far too high. The earphones were
22 fried while I was scratching my head trying to understand how could this have
23 happened. I made a mental note never to trust the thin clients provided by my
24 employer.
25
26 Some times the construction of the spring loaded contacts in a plug is so
27 poor, a correctly inserted jack does not provide a good and reliable
28 electrical contact. I'm running a desktop presently where I have to be
29 careful how far in I push a 3.5mm stereo jack, to be able to obtain both
30 stereo channels audio from the speakers. Annoying as this is, I have to
31 fettle with the jack to find the exact position at which I am able to get
32 audio from both channels without distortion.
33
34 Despite the above mishaps I generally opt for a cable rather than BT for
35 audio. YMMV.