From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Very Slow - Failed Sleep Command
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:29:53
1 On Wednesday 12 April 2006 22:59, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 12 April 2006 01:45, Lord Sauron wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > This happened once before in Kubuntu, though this time I was more
6 > > alert and know what I did right before this happened. So what did
7 > > transpire?
8 > >
9 > > I sent my laptop into sleep mode via the popup menu on the battery
10 > > monitor in KDE. It did this, however, when the machine came out of
11 > > sleep mode, there was no monitor. It wasn't on. I tried my basic set
12 > > of tricks: try and change the screen brightness; try and switch
13 > > monitors via the key combo on the laptop; close the lid and re-open
14 > > it; press the key combo to turn the monitor off; press the key combo
15 > > to go back to sleep mode (didn't work).
16 > >
17 > > Eventually I picked a button that did work: POWER. The system shut
18 > > down normally! After X11 died, it went back the the framebuffer and
19 > > acted like nothing had happened.
20 > >
21 > > However, right after this, KDE has been acting *really* slow. Much
22 > > slower than it should. # top revealed that artsd, xorg, and kded were
23 > > eating cpu time. This is the same behaviour as on Kubuntu before. I
24 > > suspect the cause was the same, however, I don't remember exactly so I
25 > > won't point fingers.
26 > >
27 > > Do any of you know what this is? Do you think if I recompiled xorg,
28 > > kde, and arts if it'd fix the problem? Or, even better, is there a
29 > > way to axe all the configuration settings and see if that fixes the
30 > > problem? Please help, I think it's affecting Gnome as well (scary!)
31 >
32 > recompiling will fix NOTHING.
33 >
34 > There are a lot of temporary files in /tmp and ~ / remove them and see if
35 > the problem is still there.
36 > All KDE related configs are in ~/.kde3.5 (.kde3.4), so (re)moving that sets
37 > KDE back to its 'fresh' state.
38
39 read ~/.xsession-errors
40 maybe some hint there, once i had that file fill free space on /home with few
41 GB 'cause busy filling errors
42
43 before start KDE also try remove previous session saves, maybe there some
44 sassion saved in bad state
45 rm ~/.kde/share/config/session/*
49 Linux 2.6.15-ck7 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
50 23:11:49 up 13:44, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.11, 0.17
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list