From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Telling emerge to continue when something goes wrong
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 01:43:37
1 On Sunday 14 January 2007 19:08, Iván Pérez Domínguez
2 <ivanperezdominguez@×××××.com> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Telling
3 emerge to continue when something goes wrong':
4 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
5 > > I've also attached a longer system update script that I use, for
6 > > reference.
7 >
8 > I've been taking a look at the script. I wonder why using emerge --sync
9 > at the beginning and update-eix at the end instead of an eix-sync.
10
11 I want the information returned by eix after the script completes to take
12 into account the package updates that may occur during the portage or
13 world updates. I also want those updates to take into account the most
14 recent portage tree. So, I need a sync operation before the updates and a
15 eix-update after them. Thus, I can't combine the two operations into a
16 single eix-sync.
19 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
20 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
21 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
22 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh