From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bootup drops back to console from kdm
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 23:08:09
1 Output from "rc-update show" ?
2
3 On 10/4/09, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > It must be a year or so now with all different kernels. On boot up kdm
5 > fires
6 > up, but within 5 seconds or so and while the use is busy entering their
7 > passwd on the kdm screen, it suddenly returns to the console. Alt+F7 brings
8 > them back to their kdm, but this behaviour is clearly wrong. I suspect that
9 > this is caused by dhcpcd getting an IP address, or vixie cron (the last two
10 > things shown on the console when the user gets dumped back on it) but I
11 > can't
12 > understand why these two services will cause such a problem on this machine,
13 > when other machines with the same services work fine.
14 >
15 > Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this one? I can't see anything amiss on
16 > dmesg, or messages/syslog.
17 > --
18 > Regards,
19 > Mick