From: Christopher Copeland <chrcop@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:04:12
1 On 28 Oct 2007, at 18:15, Dan Farrell wrote:
2
3 > Most people go for this option, but there's definitely something good
4 > to be said about the flexibility (and power!) of using a home-built
5 > router from a second hand desktop.
6
7 On the subject of power one might want to think about the power
8 required to run a complete desktop based router versus the cost of an
9 integrated device. Unless you are looking for a project to tinker
10 with for fun or plan to use the machine for more than just a router I
11 think it's overkill.
12
13 I've used wireless since the the first apple airport and would second
14 the recommendation of a dd-wrt based router. A linksys WRT54GL works
15 well enough with the standard firmware and you have plenty of options
16 to tweak with dd-wrt etc.
17
18 I'm not sure about Italy, but around here you can get a simple D-link
19 wireless router for USD25. I've used them in several situations and
20 have had no problems.. you can't beat that price.
21 --
22 Christopher
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list